[gecode-users] Linear memory allocation

Farshid Hassani Bijarbooneh farshid.hassani at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 11:20:40 CEST 2011

On Sep 6, 2011, at 10:04 AM, Christian Schulte wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1) The problem here is the number of variables, the number of constraints is
> not that much of an issue. Are they Boolean or integer variables. Boolean
> variables are much smaller. But still it takes too much memory. Could I have
> a look at your model?
The variables are integer with domain 0,1. I had to change to integers at some point due to troubles in implementation of a custom branching.

> 2) Domain consistent propagation for linear is exponential (that is, here it
> is 2^49) Please read Tip 4.6 in MPG. Maybe MPG should have a big fat warning
> (we had this issue before, that's why the reference doc has a big fat
> warning).
I see, though I still wonder why changing to boolean variables fixes the Domain consistency issue here. I thought integer variables with domain 0,1 are treated the same as boolean despite the memory.

> 2) What does "Gist crashes" mean. It should crash even though propagation
> does not terminate.
Gist starts but doesn't show the window, and can not be closed unless killing the process.

Cheers,
Farshid