[gecode-users] Gecode 4.0.0

Vincent Barichard Vincent.Barichard at univ-angers.fr
Fri Nov 4 16:59:22 CET 2011

Hi Filip,

I don't know smathlib, but as you said, it seems to be not maintained anymore.
Elisa is based on Gaol which is based on the IBM mathematical library,
so it also relies on
another external library.

I agree to not start a new implementation, it will be painfull. I
don't think that Gecode will
become LGPL if it links with a LGPL library. But users should have the
choice to not embed such a dependency.
I didn't find a mathematical library which fit all our needs (license,
multi platforms, small, reliable).
So I see no choice but to use an external dependency which will be
LGPL. Up to now, I retained two possibilities which
are MPFR or CRlibm. Maybe CRLibm is easier to build under windows than
MPFR? (I am not a Windows user so I have no feedback on this)

I also think that a build-option should be used to decide if
transcendental constraints must be included. But we still have
to provide a fully functional implementation of FloatVar, and to
achieve it, we must choose a library. I prefer a library
which works on Linux and Windows. I think it's up to Gecode
maintainers to decide which choice has to be made, I will follow
their conlusions. But in the meantime, I will continue to dig the
topic, so thank you very much for all your remarks and
advices :) If a Windows user has ever used an exact mathematical
library, feel free to share your comments.

Best,
Vincent

Filip Konvi?ka <filip.konvicka at logis.cz> a écrit :

>> Maybe you can have a look at Gaol:
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gaol/
>>
>> You can also write to the author Frederic Goualard to talk about the
>> subject.
>>

> One issue will probably be the license - both Gaol and MPFR are
> LGPL, so including them in a Gecode distribution would make that
> Gecode package also LGPL, I guess.  Again, if a user decides to
> build their own Gecode with this included, it's fine, so it's great
> to have the option.  But for a standard Gecode release my
> understanding was that the ideal license would be MIT-style.
>
> Best,
> Filip

Vincent Barichard        Université d'Angers (LERIA)
Tel: 02 41 73 52 06      Département Informatique
Fax: 02 41 73 50 73      H203