[gecode-users] consistency level for relations in MiniModel

Kish Shen kisshen at cisco.com
Wed Mar 23 22:14:12 CET 2011

Hi,

I am now looking at updating the ECLiPSe's gecode interface to the
latest version of gecode.

I have been using gecode 3.3 for the ECLiPSe interface because I have
been using the old facilities for LinRel and LinExpr, by breaking down
user's expression (which may be non-linear) into subexpressions and
posting them. It looks like this can now all be done by using the
relation facilities of MiniModel, so I do not need to break the
expressions down myself.

However, I am not very clear if I can specify the consistency level for
relations and expressions I post using expr() and rel() of MiniModel. In
my current code, where linear relations are posted using post, I am able
to specify the consistency level. This allowed me to let the user (at
the ECLiPSe level) to specify a consistency level for their (possibly
non-linear) expressions and relations, with the understanding that the
consistency level might not be achieved for parts of the expression
(e.g. the non-linear parts).

I have been looking at the current Modelling and Programming with
Gecode, in particular the MiniModel chapter, and it is not clear to me
that you can specify a consistency level for rel (and expr). Can the
consistency level be specified?

On a related point, the MiniModel chapter show example of specifying the
expressions and relations directly in C++. In my code, I will be
translating user specified relations/expressions to gecode data
structures. In the existing code, LinExpr and LinRel are constructed
in my C++ code, and I will need to be able to do the same thing with
IntExpr. I cannot find IntExpr in the (web-based) Gecode Reference
Documentation, probably because I don't know where to look. I looked in
the "Direct modelling support" page in the Programming models section,
but I found only the linear relations and expressions that I am already
using.

I guess my first question (about consistency level) is also because I
don't know which section in the reference documentation to look up the
rel/expr facilities described in the MiniModel chapter.

Thanks in advance for any help and information!

Cheers,

Kish

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.