[gecode-users] Singleton Arc Consistency Preprocessing

Tyrel Russell tcrussel at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Apr 4 16:50:36 CEST 2011

Hi,

Is there a preferred method for applying singleton arc consistency
preprocessing in Gecode?

The idea that I was considering was to fix each variable value pair and
determine if a nogood is generated by applying arc consistency with the
variable-value fixed.  If so, add this nogood to a set of stored nogoods
and enforce the new set of constraints, iterate through this process
until no further nogoods are found.

There seem to be two problems with this approach.  First, it seems to be
necessary to only add constraints in the constructor of a Space object
or during search which means generating a specific constructor for this
purpose.  Is there a better way to add constraints to a Space object on
the fly?  Second, there is an issue of efficiency.  There would a large
number of calls to my hypothetical constructor which may not be efficient.

I know that singleton arc consistency preprocessing was removed from
Gecode several versions ago.  Was this because it was too expensive to
be effective?

Thanks,

Tyrel Russell