[gecode-users] embedded gecode

Mauricio Toro mauriciotorob at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 16:44:32 CEST 2011

Ruben,

I would be glad to know the details of your work.
It would be great for me to run my applications
developped with Gecode over my iPhone.

Cheers,
Mauricio

2011/4/4 Guido Tack <tack at gecode.org>

> Ruben Zilibowitz wrote:
>
> > Hi. I'm considering trying to use gecode on the iphone platform, or other
> mobile platforms. I'm aware that support for double precision floating point
> is limited on the iphone platform. The other main issue is the limited RAM.
> I've managed to compile gecode and test it on the iphone, however I'm
> concerned about the memory usage.
> >
> > I'm wondering if there've been any attempts to do this before? Are there
> any tips/suggestions?
>
> First of all, thanks for trying Gecode on a platform that we haven't got a
> lot of experience with.  Any comments are highly welcome.
>
> Concerning doubles, Gecode uses them mainly as a portable integer type with
> more than 32 bits in order to perform overflow-correct computations. As long
> as it works (i.e., either with hardware support or software emulation), it
> shouldn't be a problem, although perhaps there would be more efficient
> alternative solutions.
>
> Gecode has been designed for memory efficiency from the start, most data
> structures are quite compact.  The amount of memory used during search can
> be controlled using the recomputation parameters (commit distance and
> adaption distance).  E.g., a commit and adaptive distance of 100000 will
> effectively result in constant memory use, paid for by higher runtime (see
> Section 9.2 in "Modeling and Programming with Gecode").  But even with much
> lower parameters, many problems can be solved in just a few MB of RAM.
>
> Cheers,
>        Guido
>
> --
> Guido Tack, http://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~guido.tack/

Mauricio TORO BERMUDEZ

http://www.labri.fr/perso/mtoro/

Research Postgraduate Student (Ph.D)
Computer Science Research Laboratory of Bordeaux (LABRI)
Université de Bordeaux 1

351, cours de la Libération
F-33405 Talence Cedex. France.
Phone: (+33) 5 4000 24 85
Fax: (+33) 5 4000 66 69

Please do not print this e-mail unless you really need to.