[gecode-users] Dynamic size of IntVarArray in Gecode 3.4.0

Nacho ncasti at fdi.ucm.es
Fri Sep 10 16:26:50 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have migrated from Gecode 3.2.2 to Gecode 3.4.0 today. I have read the
Changelog about the new IntVarArray API and I can not find out how to adapt
our previous implementation to the current framework.

We need to use Gecode to reason with models where constraints and variables
can be added and removed. As a new constraint is processed, it is added to
the Space and propagated. New variables appearing in this constraint are
added to an IntVarArray, which is updated by the Space copy function. In
order to backtrack to previous models (removing constraints and variables),
each time a new constraint is processed we clone the Space.

In Gecode 3.4.0, dynamically addition of IntVars to an IntVarArray is no
more supported. This is possible by using IntVarArgs, but, I need to update
the variable data structure with each new constraint being processed, and
IntVarArgs can not be updated. The MPG.pdf includes Tip 4.5 for dynamically
constructing problems, but I think this can not address the behaviour we
want to achieve. Do you have any ideas of how to address my problem?

Thank you very much in advance,

Nacho