[gecode-users] Advisors versus propagation conditions

Mikael Zayenz Lagerkvist zayenz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 08:26:53 CEST 2010

Hi,

When designing propagators that use advisors, one will always need to handle
the case where a newly constructed propagator is not at fix-point. This
might be when all variables are assigned (for a simple checking propagator),
or it might be always. What needs to be done differs for each propagator.

For a typical case some data-structure that the advisors will maintain is
set up to a valid initial state, and then the propagator needs to be run
once to propagate this information. Sometimes, the set-up can be used to
determine of the propagator actually needs to be run, or if it already is at
a fix-point. To schedule the propagator for execution you need a view-type
and some relevant modification event. Say that you use the view-type IntView
and want to schedule with the information that the bounds have changed:
    IntView::schedule(home, *this, ME_INT_BND);
where "this" is the current propagator.

Cheers,
Mikael

Mikael Zayenz Lagerkvist, http://www.ict.kth.se/~zayenz/