[gecode-users] sequence constraint: variable occurring multiply

Guido Tack tack at gecode.org
Thu Aug 19 09:10:13 CEST 2010

Hi,

David Rijsman wrote:
> you are absolutely right, this extension is very useful for cyclical rosters. Should not be very hard to enable in the current implementation, basically changing the check at posting the constraint. I see if I can do this and see if this gets accepted?

The question is whether the algorithm is still correctly reporting fixpoints when the variable array contains variables more than once.   I don't know the algorithm well enough to tell from just a quick glance.  Usually, the test suite is pretty good at detecting these cases, so you could simply remove the check in the post function and write a test to see if anything goes wrong.
If shared variables are indeed a problem for the algorithm, you can use unshare to replace all shared variables with fresh variables (linked to the originals by equality constraints).