[gecode-users] Compiling statically

Guido Tack tack at ps.uni-sb.de
Sat Nov 7 19:00:40 CET 2009

The Gecode libs themselves cannot be linked statically (e.g. against
libstdc++), they're just archives of object files, after all.  One
problem with the current build system is that if you've built dynamic
libs before and they're still in the directory, they will be used for
linking.  If you --enable-static --disable-dynamic in a fresh source
directory, the executables should be linked against the static Gecode
libs.

Another question is whether they should be  linked fully statically
after configuring with --enable-static, or just use the static Gecode
libs but still link libstdc++ dynamically.  No idea what's more useful
there - but I guess we could add -static to the linker options.