[gecode-users] Memory consumption - element constraint

benoit benoitlaurent at neuf.fr
Mon Nov 2 21:54:04 CET 2009

Hello,
> Hi Benoit,
>
> Maybe you want to tell us how large your graphs are?

The largest one encountered so far only contains 310 nodes. Each arcs is
duplicated 5 times. The density is approximatively 5%.
> To give you an idea, we have been playing a little bit with some word
> problems (brought to us by Håkan Kjellerstrand). Here, in the small examples
> we tried, the arrays have around 70,000 elements and there are plenty of
> these element constraints and everything is solved in around 8 Megabytes of
> main memory. I think, Håkan even successfully tried examples with ten times
> as many elements.

Ok. In my case, the figures are far below. The problem must come from my
implementation. I shall have a look on Håkan's page.
> Or, to put it into perspective: solving these puzzles with the large element
> constraints takes a small fraction of the time it takes a C++ compiler to
> compile the source code containing the word lists for the element
> constraints as string constants...

Ok.

Thank you for your answer and more generally for the excellent work
accomplished in Gecode.

Regards,

Benoît