[gecode-users] Memory consumption - element constraint

benoit benoitlaurent at neuf.fr
Mon Nov 2 17:05:09 CET 2009

Hello,

I came across a problem of high memory consumption with the element
constraints. According to this message
(http://www.gecode.org/gecode-users/2009-February/002828.html), it would
come from the large size of the employed arrays.

In my case, the array represents a directed multigraph. It stores the
values hold by the arcs. These values are a priori computed, stored in a
variable of type IntArgs and retrieved during execution. Here comes the
problem of size.

A possible solution would consist in computing the needed values during
execution. However, this calculation can be a bit complex and will
require different temporary variables. I am afraid of producing a code
difficult to maintain. Is there a better way of doing this ? Are there
more appropriate structures ? (I should add that the considered
multigraph is sparse).

Thanks in advance.

Benoît