[gecode-users] Decimal

Javier Andrés Mena Zapata javimena at gmail.com
Tue May 19 21:30:15 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm modelling a financial problem (calculating minimum interests payments
and ROI), and I want to model the "money" value using Gecode integer
variables.

For example, representing 10.25 is like storing 1025 divided by 100.  But,
there's a problem with the multiplication, because the interests rates are
float values with very muchs decimals.  For example 0.00643403011.  I think
there may be an overflow if I model this decimal using something like 6434
divided by 1000000.

What do you think it's the best technique for modelling this problem:

   1. Use IntVars and the current propagators (as proposed here).
   2. Use IntVars, and creating new propagators for IntVar x Float
   multiplication.
   3. Use float vars, and its propagators.
   4. Other?

Thanks,