[gecode-users] Interfacing GeCode to ECLiPSe

Christian Schulte cschulte at kth.se
Mon Jan 26 21:18:06 CET 2009

Hi Kish,

As it comes to the search interface: I have been discussing with other
LP-minded people and from these discussions I do recall the following design
outline:

Search:
 (1) Eclipse tells Gecode to create a choicepoint
 (2) Eclipse tells Gecode to backtrack until the next choicepoint (or some
choicepoint if you want it to be
     more powerful than that)

Interfacing:
 (3) Eclipse tells Gecode about variable modifications
 (4) Eclipse tells Gecode to create new variables and propagators
 (5) Eclipse instructs Gecode to do propagation and queries Gecode about
changes to variable domains

Then, a starting point for implementing backtracking would be to just use
cloning to make it work (that should be really use but inefficient). Then,
in a second step one could use a hybrid of recomputation and cloning (just
replay what has been done by (3) and (4) and redo propagation). For a
realistic interface Gecode must use recomputation.

I think this kind of interface would be quite useful also for other
languages/systems based on backtracking. Provided that:
 - you come up with a naïve implementation that is not Eclipse specific
(say, there will be one part that is Gecode specific and then a separate
part that is Eclipse specific, and the Gecode part can be used without
Eclipse)
 - you put the Gecode-specific part under the MIT license

We could optimize the Gecode-specific part including adding recomputation,
include the Gecode-specific part with Gecode and hence adopt and maintain
it.

What do you think?

Christian Schulte, www.it.kth.se/~cschulte/