[gecode-users] Extra information during propagation

Christian Schulte cschulte at kth.se
Wed Jan 21 10:39:22 CET 2009

Hi Vincent,

basically you want to have equivalence (or even equality) reasoning in
Gecode. Gecode has been explicitly designed to not deal with it. Prior
systems (logic programming based systems such as SICStus, Eclipse, Mozart,
...) do have equality reasoning (but typically with lots of restrictions if
not bugs). However my own experience has been that it is not useful enough
(from a general perspective) and the chosen implementation technology
(maintaining equivalence classes) is totally ill matched to performing
propagation efficiently.

What would be possible on a general level is to use a substitution based
approach. We know how to do it but it is a lot of work.

Okay that was just the background info and the answer that there is no
general way and just fixing something in Gecode will not do the trick.

Then what you might want to do is to define a new type of variables yourself
that just extends Gecode variables by an additional level of indirection to
do equivalence reasoning.

Hope that helps

Christian Schulte, www.ict.kth.se/~cschulte/