[gecode-users] how to start?

Mikael Zayenz Lagerkvist zayenz at kth.se
Fri Jan 9 08:24:36 CET 2009

Hi,

The documentation for Gecode is a reference documentation, there is
currently no tutorial-style documentation. See previous discussion on
the mailing list [1].

As for learning to use Gecode, I would recommend to start learning by
doing a few simple models. All the examples in the examples-directory
are full programs (hint: each file has a main-function), so they are a
good starting point for exploration. I would recommend starting by
studying a simple example like n-queens (examples/queens.cc) or
send+more=money (examples/money.cc). Gecode uses mostly the same
concepts as other CP-systems, so the modeling-part is quite similar.
For detailed information about the constraints and variables that you
can use, the relevant sections in the reference-documentation are
under Programming Models [2].

Cheers,
Mikael

PS A script refers to a model.