[gecode-users] Cloning problems

Christian Schulte cschulte at kth.se
Fri Feb 13 11:11:30 CET 2009

Hi,

that sounds ugly ;-) Before I start with rambling about cloning, a tip:
Gecode supports unary branchings (with a single alternatiuve only). So you
could have a unary branching and don't have to have a mock-up empty branch.
The search engines even optimize that case. If you are looking for an
example, check the assign function in gecode/int.hh for assigning variables.

Okay, cloning it is. So, there are two stages: copying and updating. During
copying you first create a new space and copy all actors. While copying all
actors you copy each variable and its domain used by an actor and collect a
list of all these variables (actually a list for each variable type). The
only thing that you do not do is copying the dependency array of a variable
(the array of pointers that point to propagators that depend on a variable).
Then in updating, you update the dependency arrays (and also deal with
advisors).

Updating a dependency array just copies for each old entry the new entry
(stored via a forwarding pointer in each actor) and restore some information
for variables that has been stored in the copy of the dependency array.
After that you cleanup the space, the actors, and you are done.

In VarImp<VIC>::enter, the --idx[0] makes room for an additional entry. Then
you keep moving actors to a free entry and by this create a new free entry
for the propagation condition i. When the loop is done, you know that there
is a free entry for propagation condition pc and that's where the propagator
is entered.

Your guess about x->idx[0] in VarImp<VIC>::update is correct: this actually
stores the forwarding pointer for a variable implementation. Also your
suspicion about ActorLink::prev is correct: there the forwarding pointer for
actors is stored.

Let me come up with some idea where the trouble could be:
 - you forget to update a variable or view at some place. Either in your
branching, propagator, or model.
   Then you can see an invalid pointer in the dependency array.
   You might want to change the default constructor of VarBase in
gecode/kernel/var.icc and the default constructor
   of VarViewBase in gecode/kernel/view.icc so that they set varimp to NULL
(actually, I just did that yesterday in the trunk as well). Then you will be
sure that when you forget to update, you'll see a NULL pointer.
 - you commit a heinous crime in that you change the dependencies of a
variable with cancel/subscribe during
   cloning. That is illegal and will for sure break everything. Note that
creating a propagator during
   cloning will commit that crime, too.

It is very very unlikely (but not impossible, of course) that the cloning in
Gecode has a snatch but, as said, very unlikely given that its used by
anything else.

Hope that helps. Please do not hesitate to ask some more

Christian Schulte, www.ict.kth.se/~cschulte/