[gecode-users] Linking to Gecode with Microsoft Visual C++

Filip Konvička filip.konvicka at logis.cz
Fri Sep 5 09:05:06 CEST 2008

> Good point, they are back.
>
> As we are talking this stuff: do you see any use in also distributing the manifest files?

I didn't really have the time to explore everything about manifests yet,
but.... my idea how a manifest of an exe/dll works is that it describes
the exact versions of the dlls that the exe/dll is linked against, so
you prevent some of the unexpected runtime failures which are due to
e.g. mismatching RTL dlls. A manifest also contains some hash of the
exe/dll itself, so any dependencies on it can be properly verified at
process startup. I don't know whether there is anything else relevant to
PE-format binaries (well, except maybe the UAC lunacy). But I'm sure
there's a lot more to it when it's a CLR assembly.

There's an option to embed the manifests in your dlls & exes, so you
don't need to have separate files. This can be set up in the IDE (I
neved did this manually on the commandline, but you can copy the proper
incantation from the IDE).

Cheers,
Filip