[gecode-users] Issue with memory on Gecode/J

Jorge Sanchez jsanchez at edaptive.com
Wed Nov 19 22:52:04 CET 2008

Hello,
I am writing because I have been noticing a memory issue on Gecode/J. I
wanted to see if anyone has experienced something similar to what I am
seeing.

I have an application which generates Gecode/J CLPs, compiles, loads,
and runs the solver on them. I am noticing that after I generate several
problems, my memory usage (looking at 'top') keeps increasing. I am
looking at the garbage collector output, using the -verbose:gc flag when
invoking the jvm, and it is reporting much lower memory usage than what
I see through top. I've also looked at profiler dumps using hprof, and
all the Java objects seem to be getting collected properly. I am assumed
this was an issue with the interface from Java to C, so i tried making
explicit calls to Space.delete() with no improvement. In an old post
(http://www.mozart-oz.org/pipermail/gecode-users/2006-March/001013.html),
I read there had been an issue with the Java wrapper, which leads me to
think, maybe there is something still amiss(?).

Does anyone have any knowledge of what may be causing this?
I am using Gecode/J 2.2.0 under Sun JVM 1.6.0_06-b02, in a 2.6.24 Linux
kernel.
I also compiled the Gecode libraries with gcc 4.2.3

--
Jorge Sanchez
Developer I

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain company proprietary and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this document.