[gecode-users] member function branching

Patrik Haslum patrik.haslum at anu.edu.au
Wed Nov 19 05:24:49 CET 2008

Hi again,

I've implemented a "proper" custom branching (with branching
descriptions etc). I've also run some experiments testing the effect of
changing the c-d parameter, and results are not what I expected.

I used two different settings, c-d = 8 and c-d = 1, with both "basic"
branching (i.e., only calling the built-in "branch" function, for each
of two variable arrays, in the space constructor) and with my custom
branching. In *all* cases, using c-d = 8 does more propagation than
using c-d = 1! Runtimes do not always correlate with the amount of
propagation done, but, for the custom branching strategy at least, using
c-d = 1 is faster on all non-trivial problems. (A summary of the
experiment results is attached.)

Is there an explanation for this result?

cheers,
			/P at trik