[gecode-users] Identifying an IntVar

Guido Tack tack at ps.uni-sb.de
Mon Mar 17 19:30:22 CET 2008

David Rijsman wrote:

> I am building my own somewhat generic tracing for certain search
> operators and for this I have created my own branching to create my
> own tracing in a Branching::commit. This in itself is no problem but
> now I would like to map the variable(s), on which tell operation(s)
> will be executed in the commit, back to variables in for example an
> array in my derived Space (for example the variable we execute a tell
> on is the third variable in the array in my space). As the IntVar
> instances have no identifier attributes this seems impossible. Am I
> missing some possibilities?  And if I would like to add an identifier
> attribute to for example an IntVar I should do this in IntVarImp?

I'm not sure I understand every detail of what you're trying to do,
let me try to summarize: you have an array of IntVars in your space,
and tracing means that you output what's happening during a commit.
And of course you want to say something like "variable no. 3 was
modified", where 3 is the index in the global array?
Our generic solution for this is a VarMap, which belongs to the new
reflection API.  You can find a small tutorial on reflection here:
http://www.gecode.org/gecode-doc-latest/PageReflection.html