[gecode-users] Boost and serialization with new release

Guido Tack tack at ps.uni-sb.de
Mon Mar 3 11:45:23 CET 2008

Stefano Gualandi wrote:

> Hi,
> Does the new release depend on a particular boost version?
> So far, it compile only with serialization disabled (I am trying on
> both Linux and Mac OS X).

We've had some problems with boost serialization (mainly due to
unreadable error messages from template functions...), and haven't
been able to resurrect it before the release.  I just fixed the most
obvious things in the trunk (which had to do with interface changes
within Gecode), but the code still doesn't compile.  I must admit that
I don't fully understand all the details of boost serialization, and I
just don't know what's wrong with the current code - the compiler
complains about ambiguous overloading of an operator<< for the type
boost::archive::version_type.
If you need boost serialization, it would be great if you could have a
look at what's wrong there.  If you don't need it, please just compile
without the --with-boost switch.