[gecode-users] Gecode 3.0.0: What we will do. What do you want?

Mauricio Toro mauriciotorob at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 19:23:52 CEST 2008

Hello,
I am always having problems with bus error, and there is not an easy
way to debug those errors. Would it be possible to do something about it?
Also, some documentation about how to develop new propagators
should be included.

cheers,

Mauricio

2008/6/25 Javier Andrés Mena Zapata <javimena at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I think one important thing missing in Gecode is direct support to modeling
> scheduling problems. There has been always  said (several papers, not
> Gecode) that that CP is the way to go if you want to model scheduling
> problems, but when one tries to implement those ideas in Gecode the
> difficulties arrives quickly, mainly because the missing of direct support
> to modelling scheduling problems and because the documentation is not very
> detailed when you want to model new search engines and branchings. You will
> address those issues in the next versions of Gecode, so in the future it
> will not be a great problem.
>
> I'm very interested in the support of scheduling functions in Gecode, and I
> would be glad to contribute an initial implementation, if you plan to
> include those functions in the main line of Gecode (that's no a requirement,
> but an idea).
>
> When you say "parallel support", do you mean multi-core support? or
> distributed support?.
>
> IMHO.
>
> Thanks for taking us into account.
>

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Christian Schulte <cschulte at kth.se>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> as mentioned, we are planning for Gecode 3.0.0. Before going into detail,
>> would like to share with you the goals we wanted to achieve with the
>> previous major releases and the goals we want to achieve with 3.0 (and
>> even
>> 4.0).
>>
>> Gecode 1.0.0 was the first version where we believed that we had arrived
>> at
>> something that was reasonably complete and robust to be useful to other
>> users but us. The focus has been in particular on getting the basic
>> architecture sufficiently mature.
>>
>> Gecode 2.0.0 achieved a complete set of abstractions needed to do
>> efficient
>> propagation including incremental propagation. We are quite confident that
>> the level of completeness and maturity we reached for propagation will be
>> sufficient for some time to come. Subsequent releases fixed (and will fix)
>> lots of not-so-easy-to-catch bugs as we have been stepping up Gecode's
>> quality.
>>
>> Gecode 3.0.0 will shift the focus away from propagation. The main focus
>> will
>> be documentation and search.
>>
>> In more detail, Gecode 3.0.0 will feature:
>>  - a complete rework of branching, including randomization and support for
>> tie-breaking (already finished)
>>  - abstractions for cost-based optimization (just define a cost function,
>> done)
>>  - a first shot at parallel search (working really great, but integration
>> and legal aspects are not yet resolved)
>>  - the first stable version of Gist as an interactive search tool (almost
>> done, we have made amazing progress and have
> [...]

Mauricio Toro Bermudez
Estudiante de Ingeniería de Sistemas
Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Colombia

Stagiare à l'Ircam
1, place Igor-Stravinsky 75004 Paris,
France de 2008 à 2009