[gecode-users] Clockwise constraint

Guido Tack tack at ps.uni-sb.de
Mon Jun 2 11:03:40 CEST 2008

Malcolm Ryan wrote:

> On 02/06/2008, at 5:18 PM, Guido Tack wrote:
>>
>> Oh, I somehow didn't see that it's always ternary!  In that case you
>> might really want to try the extensional constraint.  Just implement
>> a generator that lists all allowed tuples.
>
> Nice idea, but really not viable. In practice the domains are much
> larger than 4 (more like 100), and the table size would be O(n^3).

We just tried it (just for fun ;-), and for domain size 100 it's just
under 500 000 tuples (which takes about 10M of memory).  For domain
size 200 it's around 4 000 000 tuples, which is still manageable with
under 100M of memory.  Generation takes less than a second.

Even if you use more than one of these propagators, you can reuse the
same table for each one.  So, you might actually want to try this, it
may work!