[gecode-users] Building dlls using gcc/cygwin

Guido Tack tack at ps.uni-sb.de
Wed Jan 16 15:50:54 CET 2008

Hi.

I looked into the problems with gcc and dlls on Windows a little more
closely, and I'm afraid it's too broken for a reasonable workaround.
While we have a solution for one linking problem (export of vtables),
another problem is more serious: gcc screws up non-inline template
functions that are used across dll borders.  The only option would be
to make those functions inline, which we don't want to do (we try to
be careful about what is declared inline and what is not!).

So, for the time being, gcc/cygwin will only produce static libraries,
and you'll have to resort to msvc if you need dlls.