[gecode-users] Pruning search in optimisation problems

Malcolm Ryan malcolmr at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Jan 14 00:17:13 CET 2008

I have a question about optimisation. Say I have a constraint system
and I'm trying to minimise the value of some variable X. As I
understand it, the usual approach is to iteratively find a solution
with X = x1, then add the constraint X < x1 and repeat until no more
solutions can be found. Is this correct?

It occurs to me that each iteration only makes the problem more
constrained, so assignments which failed in one iteration will
continue to fail in all subsequent iterations. Is there any standard
way to make use of this information to prune the search?

Malcolm

--
      "The act of defending any of the cardinal virtues has today all
       the exhilaration of a vice."