[gecode-users] Heap memory exhaustion

Joe Porter joe.porter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 18:36:00 CET 2008

I'm having a problem with Gecode 2.0.0 on Windows XP Professional.  My
application seems to work fairly well on many cases, but I have two cases
that run for about 9 minutes before declaring that the heap memory is
exhausted.

I have tried the following:
1. Modifying boot.ini to add the /3GB flag to increase the individual
application memory limit.
2. Adjusting a_d and c_d (using DFS).  I have tried (c_d=16, a_d=8) and
(c_d=20, a_d=1000).
3. Recompiling with heap memory reservation increased from 1MB (default as I
understand) to 8 MB.

All of these lead to the same result.  Here is a printout of the search
stats:

Ran out of memory!!! (Memory: Heap memory exhausted)
Stats: Search Stats

Initial
        propagators:   68
        branchings:    2

Summary
        propagations:  37440926
        failures:      18387289
        clones:        18387303
        commits:       36777015
        peak memory:   646672 KB

No matter what I try these numbers do not change.

Thanks in advance for any help,
-Joe