[gecode-users] Quicksort bug

Christian Schulte cschulte at kth.se
Mon Dec 15 22:32:41 CET 2008

Hi Michal,

I think that your reasoning is not fully correct:
 - Gecode's quicksort uses O(log n) stackspace: it will always push the
larger array onto the stack,
   which will be at least n/2 long! That's O(log n).
 - There is no difference (in principle) whether you use a strict or
non-strict ordering (as the complement
   will be the opposite).

The only problem I see is that 32 was not good enough. Could you be so kind
and retry what happens with replacing 32 by "sizeof(int) * 64"?

Then, how much memory does your machine have? Then, how deep does the stack
grow for Quicksort and how many elements does the array have you try to
sort?

Thanks

Christian Schulte, www.it.kth.se/~cschulte/