[gecode-users] How to use Gecode binaries from within MSVC's IDE

Filip Konvička filip.konvicka at logis.cz
Mon Aug 25 17:26:11 CEST 2008

> First, the "fix" I just send does not fix the problem... It does for me but
> not for Jan.
>
> The crashes are totally bizarre, as far as the debugger tells the crash
> occurs right in the heart of copying... That's close to impossible as Gecode
> does not use char there...

Well, if someone overwrites memory somewhere else, anything can occur...
> I'll have a closer look tomorrow (my problem is that I know very little
> about MSVC's IDE and hoped that I could get away with that). I'll try the
> voodoo you suggest.

This almighty cure is mainly for solving issues with wstringstream and
std::wcin/std::wcout, but who knows, it saved me a lot of trouble already.
> Maybe, you still use MSVC 2005?

I already have MSVC 2008 SP1. All Gecode scripts I'm running now use
UNICODE and no crashes occur (even with my FloatVars :-)). However, one
thing on my TODO list is investigating this: when I break the execution
somewhere and inspect the variables (like FloatVarImp or IntVarImp), the
'home' pointer inside all variables is set to '0xBAADF00D', which is a
little scary. You know, everything seems to work, but it's creepy. So
far I thought that maybe I miscompiled Gecode somehow...

Cheers,
Filip