[gecode-users] How to use Gecode binaries from within MSVC's IDE

Christian Schulte cschulte at kth.se
Mon Aug 25 16:41:00 CEST 2008

Dear all,

thanks to the help from Jan Kelbel, we found a solution (well, workaround)
for using the precompiled binaries we ship within Microsoft Visual Studio's
Integrated Development Environment (IDE).

The IDE defines the macros UNICODE and _UNICODE: when compiling with these
macros set, things crash. What you can do is the following:
 - Go to the project property dialog
 - Find the entry "Configuration Properties"
 - Find the section "General"
 - Switch "Character Set" to "Use Multi-Byte Character Set"

That should do the trick. We will investigate further what happens exactly
with UNICODE and _UNICODE defined (it's so not documented... Aaaaargh!).

Christian Schulte, www.ict.kth.se/~cschulte/