[gecode-users] GecodeJ and 64 bits

Guido Tack tack at ps.uni-sb.de
Mon Aug 11 09:08:57 CEST 2008

Jorge Ivory Castaño wrote:

> Hi, I just bougth a new computer with an ASUS M2NSLI motheboard and
> a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Processor, 4Gb in RAM. (old one was
> malfunctioning)
> I have been in trouble trying to install some things because of
> drivers problems and software that is not in 64 bits architecture.
> I am working in my thesis with Gecode and GecodeJ, and now that i
> want to continue working in my new computer I would like to know:
> Is GecodeJ compatible with my 64 bits architecture? Has someone
> installed it?

Yes, as Christian already guessed, Gecode/J works on 64 bit
architectures.

> What OS do you recommend me for work on Gecodej? Linux or Windows
> Vista Ultimate? (Xp is not possible because or the 4gb in RAM and
> lots of bugs with my motherboard in the 64bits version).
> In case you recommend me Linux, can you suggest me a distribution
> that you know works fine with gecodej? I will really appreciate you
> help.

I haven't tried to compile Gecode/J for 64 bit Windows yet, and I have
no experience with the 64 bit JVM for Windows.  The last time I
compiled Gecode/J on Linux for 64 bit was on a Debian system, but
really any distro should work that comes with the necessary tools: a
recent gcc (preferably 4.2), the usual build tools, a Sun JDK (with
java 1.5 or 1.6), and ant.

Please try to follow the installation instructions at
http://www.gecode.org/gecodej/doc/PageComp.html
If you run into problems, I'm sure we can help you get everything up
and running.