[gecode-users] Bugs in Gecode/J

Mikael Zayenz Lagerkvist zayenz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 10:28:01 CEST 2008

Hi,

That is strange. The error report is left in programs working
directory (or a temporary directory, see below for the full
explanation from Sun). I can only think of two reasons this would not
happen
 1) A bug in the JVM that makes it crash hard. No idea how to handle this case
 2) You are not using Suns JVM, in which case I don't know how to help
you, since we don't support that.

If you can distill a single file that I could try that gives the
error, you could send it to me for testing.

Cheers,
Mikael

hs_er_pid file location according to Sun:
  Before 1.5, after a fatal error, JVM prints the error log to stdout and then
  saves the same information to an hs_err log file. By default, it is saved in
  current working directory; if for some reason the current directory is not
  writable the hs_err log is saved to the system temporary directory (/tmp on
  Solaris and Linux; or the result from GetTempPath() on Windows). If there is
  no temporary directory, JVM will not save the hs_err log (because the same
  information is already printed to stdout).

  Since 1.5 because JVM prints a lot more information after crash, it would be
  too much for stdout. Instead, JVM only prints a brief message to stdout and
  detailed information is saved in hs_err log. Again, to determine the location
  for hs_err, JVM first tries current directory; if it's not writable, JVM uses
  temp directory; unlike 1.4.2, if temp directory is still not usable, JVM will
  print the detailed message to stdout.