[gecode-users] independent subproblems

Guido Tack tack at ps.uni-sb.de
Fri Apr 11 14:42:42 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

Decomposition during search (DDS) is now part of the Gecode trunk.  If
you want to try it out, check out the trunk and configure with the --
with-boost-include switch so that the boost graph library is found.

To use DDS in your own models, just replace the call to branch with a
call to decomposingBranch (with the same arguments).  Then you can use
Gist as the search engine, which will display decompositions as
specially marked nodes.  Or you use the countDDS engine provided in
the search module.

Current limitations (things I haven't ported yet):

  * Global constraints (like distinct) are not decomposed
  * The decomposing branching must come last and cover all variables
not covered by any earlier branching
  * No search engine that enumerates full solutions yet
  * Only IntVars and BoolVars
  * Probably still buggy ;-)

I'm interested in your feedback!