[gecode-users] FloatVar implementation

Christian Schulte cschulte at kth.se
Wed Apr 9 14:25:17 CEST 2008

Dear Filip,

Yes, that's true and has always been the case (more or less). It used to be
that one had to have a reserved identifier known by the kernel.

Then, in the end we decided it does not make a difference in practice and
just include the stubs for variable types into the kernel. Note it is just
type information about stubs, no information about how variables are
implemented go into the kernel.

One, of course, could do a dynamic architecture. But's just painful will
degrade performance and is not very useful: the number of different variable
types will be pretty limited.

The only thing that is a little odd, is that the specification file from
which the stubs are generated must be mentioned in the variables.vsl file.
But cleaning this up we can do if you decide to either contribute your code
to Gecode directly (;-), so it can just be listed there) or as a separate
contribution. Please get in touch with us then and we revive the contribs
configuration again.