[gecode-users] Extending Integer Variable

Filip Konvička filip.konvicka at logis.cz
Tue Apr 8 09:52:54 CEST 2008

> I am also interested in implementing FloatVars. I already built a solver which
> works on floating variables using the MPFR library (http://www.mpfr.org/). I
> designed some propagators
> (+,-,*,/,max,min,cos,acos,sin,atan,asin,exp,log,sqr,sqrt) which work quite
> well on my benchmarks.
> I came to GeCode recently because of all the work done for the integer and set
> variables, but I will be glad to share my code with anyone who is interested
> in implementing FloatVars in GeCode.

MPFR is nice, but unfortunately it is licensed under LGPL, which I'm
trying to avoid. I think that for my purposes Boost.Intervals operating
on 'double' should be sufficient.

But let's not waste effort on implementing FloatVar twice! I have
limited time for all this myself, but with the help of my colleagues I
think we can try to do some initial sketch implementation, while we'll
try to make the domain implementation part parametrized, so we can
switch between Boost.Interval, MPFR, CUDA :-D or whatever.

Personally, I am all for contributing and sharing code. From our
company's point of view, however, we must be sure that we can actually
benefit from that - and basing our work on LGPL code is more risky (and
uncomfortable) for us. That's why I prefer the MIT-style licenses.

Cheers,
Filip