[gecode-users] Partial sums

Christian Schulte cschulte at kth.se
Wed Nov 28 16:16:12 CET 2007

Hi Malcolm,

Nice question! First, after some thinking I would say that both provide the
same strength of propagation for both bounds and domain consistency (that is
not obvious, actually). If the terms in the sum had non-unary coefficients
propagation would be different, with the ternary constraints having weaker
propagation.

Then, the number of propagation steps required for version (1) should be
lower than those for (2). However, the propagators for (1) are more costly.

So, I would just try it out, trying (2) first. How many variables are we
talking by the way? Tens? Hundreds? Thousands?

Christian Schulte, www.ict.kth.se/~schulte/