[gecode-users] Independent subproblems

Malcolm Ryan malcolmr at cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri Nov 23 08:49:24 CET 2007

Do you happen to know if anyone has done any work on splitting a
problem into independent subproblems? Eg, if I have two problems
which share a single variable X, then after I assign a value to X, I
am able to solve each of the two subproblems in isolation so it would
make sense to search them individually, so that failures in one don't
undo variable bindings in the other.

My problem domain has this feature and I am trying to exploit it. It
seems to me that a structural analysis of the constraint graph could
uncover this kind of feature in general problems. I don't imagine
this is an original idea. Has there been any work in the area?

Malcolm

--
      "Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit
       the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."