[gecode-users] Diagnosing failures

Malcolm Ryan malcolmr at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Nov 13 07:00:55 CET 2007

On 13/11/2007, at 7:25 AM, Christian Schulte wrote:

> That's not quite an option: well known, there are too many propagator
> invocations (really, absolutely incomprehensible).

Really? I wouldn't have thought that there were so many. But then
I've never written an engine.

> Fact is, there has been only a single idea - to my knowledge - how
> to trace
> propagation at a sufficient level of abstraction, based on so-
> called S-boxes
> (by Benhamou and others). However it did not make it... We intend
> to do
> something like that but much later, as a byproduct of some ideas we
> would
> like to explore (as we are researchers mostly and not software
> developers,
> so anything we do must be sufficiently new and academically
> interesting.
> Well...).

I would have thought the issue was really of critical importance to
making CSPs a really useful programming paradigm. Of course, as an
academic researcher myself, I realise that there are things that are
on your research program and things that are not.

> But you have been using Gist, haven't you? That helps quite a lot to
> understand where search goes wrong in my opinion.

I haven't got into that yet. Is there any documentation or examples?

> PS: Was it intentional to have this in private? If not, could you
> forward
> the message if you agree to that? Thanks.

No, but I think the list has the reply-to-poster flag checked, and I
don't always remember to CC the list.

Malcolm

--
Many clever men like you have trusted to civilisation.
Many clever Babylonians, many clever Egyptians,