[gecode-users] gecode 1.3.1 freezes on 64-bit machine

Martin Mann mmann at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Jun 15 16:56:26 CEST 2007

Hi,

I am working with gecode 1.3.1 using Cygwin on a 32-bit WinXP machine.
Everything is fine and works.

Now I moved my source to a 64-bit single processor system with Suse 10.
Compilation works but the program hangs up.
I searched the source (because usually its my stuff that doesnt works)
and ended in the Gecode::DFS<T>::next() function when called the first
time after initializing the engine.
Unfortunatly it works in most cases but for some spaces it just freezes,
not returning from the call.

So I compiled the examples and tried all of them. The Sudoku one crashes
for gecode-1.3.1 and works for gecode-1.3.0.

Afterwards I tried the tests provided (using --enable-debug). For
gecode-1.3.1 it crashes for some set stuff as given below. The
gecode-1.3.0 test crashes earlier for the int.distinct.bnd propagator
what was fixed in gecode-1.3.1 as far as I see in the changelog.

Back to my problem. I am using DFS and a normal ViewValBranching over
all my IntVar variables. I ve got some specific binary constraints and
my own View- and Value-selection.
Compiling with gecode-1.3.0 on the 64-bit system, everything works fine.
So I think it's something in gecode-1.3.1 that has a problem with
64-bit. (32-bit on a different machine works)

Hope this can help to find the bug. If you have some direct tests I
should do if you cant reproduce anything just tell me.

Yours,

Martin

./examples/sudoku (gecode-1.3.1)

Sudoku
sudoku: ./examples/sudoku.icc:686: int value_at(const char*, int, int,
int): Assertion `example_size(s) == n*n' failed.
Aborted

./test/test (gecode-1.3.1)

Set::Proj::Rel::BinEq: +++++
Set::Proj::Rel::BinNEq: +++++
Set::Proj::Rel::BinSub: +++++
Set::Proj::RelOp::InterEqCard: + Segmentation fault

./test/test (gecode-1.3.0)

Int::Cumulatives::3t1: +++++
Int::Cumulatives::3t2: +++++
Int::Cumulatives::3t3: +++++
IInt::Distinct::Bnd::Dense: +FAILURE
         Test:       Prune
         Problem:    No fixpoint
         Assignment: {1,-1,0,1}
-

Martin Mann, Dipl. Bioinf.
Bioinformatics - Inst. of Computer Science
Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg
Tel: ++49-761-203-8259
Fax: ++49-761-203-7462
http://www.bioinf.uni-freiburg.de/~mmann/