[gecode-users] ND constructs in scripts

Filip Konvička filip.konvicka at logis.cz
Wed Aug 22 20:29:09 CEST 2007

Hi,

I have worked with Mozart previously, and I have helped my colleague to
start with Gecode/J last week - and now I want to finally start using
Gecode myself (the C++ version). Although some concepts look familiar to
me, some do not, and reading through this mailing list archive did not
answer all my questions.

One thing that I'm not sure about is non-deterministic programming
constructs in scripts, like Oz's "choice". I see that C++ is not going
to help here in terms of concurrency/blocking/etc. like Oz does, so I
think that the expressive power of scripts in Gecode is probably weaker
than in Mozart (am I right? no offence! :-)). To be more specific, from
what I understand, such thing as "choice" could be done by cutting the
script at the points of nondeterministic statements, putting the
deterministic parts' bodies in the appropriate functions of some
branchings... (posting a new branching should be done in commit(),
right?). Is this correct?

So my question for now is - do you have a suggestion on how
non-deterministic constructs could be done in scripts, if this can be
done at all?

Please forgive my ignorance, I just do not know what am I
allowed/disallowed to do in respective functions of spaces and branchings.

Thanks,
Filip