[gecode-users] building 1.2.2 on WinXP with Visual C++ 2005 Express

Jorge Marques Pelizzoni jpeliz at icmc.usp.br
Thu Sep 14 17:17:18 CEST 2006

Thank you very much for your reply, Guido! You gave me the hint that was
missing. According to MS
(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/abx4dbyh.aspx) libcp.lib does
not exist anymore and one is bound to choose between alternative libs by
means of command-line options to cl. Any of -MD (no-debug dynamic link to
C++ runtime library), -MT (static), -MDd or -MTd (debug versions). So what
I've done is (manually) to add the necessary flag to the "export DLLFLAGS
..." line in the Makefile. Surely it might be best to add an option to
configure whose interpretation depends on the setting for (no)debug.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that.

Cheers,

Jorge.

Guido Tack escreveu:
> Hi!
>
>> This is the first time I've tried to build gecode. My set-up: gecode
>> version 1.2.2 on WinXP with cygwin and Visual C++ 2005 Express. When
>> making it, I receive the following msg:
>> [..]
>> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'libcp.lib'
>> c:\Program Files\NextGeneration\make.exe: *** [GecodeInt.dll] Error 2
>>
>> What I find curious is that I couldn't spot a reference to a cp
>> library
>> either in the output or in the Makefile...
>
> This is one of the standard libraries that come with the Microsoft
> compiler, and the linker should always be able to find it. It seems
> that either your installation is broken or some paths are not
> correctly set up.
> The Visual C++ express edition comes with a batch file that sets up
> the paths correctly (called something like vcvarsall.bat IIRC). When
> you use cygwin, you may have to invoke that file manually.
>
> To check that all the paths are correct, try to compile a simple
> helloworld program from the command line.
>
> Cheers,
> 	Guido
>
> --
> Guido Tack
> Programming Systems Lab, Saarland University, Germany
> http://www.ps.uni-sb.de/~tack

Jorge M. Pelizzoni
ICMC - Universidade de São Paulo