[gecode-users] Optimization in GECODE

Guido Tack tack at ps.uni-sb.de
Mon Oct 2 11:59:02 CEST 2006

Hi.

> I'm implementing a scheduling problem with start (s), duration (d),
> end(e), setup times, for n jobs. I would like to find the minimum
> scheduling time from s[0] to s[n-1] and e[0] to e[n-1]. I have set
> it up such that e[n-1] contains the largest time point and I have
> attempted BAB with constrain to minimize e[n-1]. I realize that
> this only attempts different values for e[n-1] and does not try
> different branchings for the s and e variables. How can I do this,
> i.e., try different branchings to find a minimum?

Do you use a branching in your problem script? The Gecode search
engines do not automatically instantiate variables, you must have a
call to "branch" in order to set up the variable and value selection
strategy. Also, you have to make sure that the branching instantiates
all variables which are not necessarlily instantiated through
propagation.

Guido Tack
Programming Systems Lab, Saarland University, Germany
http://www.ps.uni-sb.de/~tack