[gecode-users] Compiling Gecode/J 1.0.0 on Windows

Guido Tack tack at ps.uni-sb.de
Sun Oct 1 16:49:23 CEST 2006

Hi Alexander.

> I just had some trouble compiling Gecode/J 1.0.0 under Windows, and I
> thought I'd share my experiences. I'm using the free MS Visual C++
> compiler (although it might an older version; this is 13.10.3077),
> Cygwin, and the binary distribution of Gecode 1.3.0.
>
> When I ran "configure", it complained that it couldn't find the
> packages
> gecode, gecode-search, and gecode-minimodel. I didn't know how to use
> the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable, so I tried to go for setting the
> Gecode_LIBS and Gecode_CFLAGS variables.

Sorry, the compilation instructions in the documentation were
incomplete. I've updated them now, the changes will be included in
Gecode/J 1.0.1, which will be released soon.

The intended way to compile Gecode/J is to use pkg-config. I have
changed the docs to explicitly say that you must have pkg-config
installed. Unfortunately, the binary packages for Gecode don't
contain the pkg-config files, and as those files refer to some
absolute path, this is tricky to add. I'll try to come up with a more
convenient solution than what you found out.

So, for the moment, you can only install Gecode/J if you have
compiled Gecode yourself and set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH accordingly. But
stay tuned... With the next release, we will provide binary packages.