[gecode-users] Gecode versus Ilog Solver

Martin Mann mmann at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri May 19 14:52:32 CEST 2006

I want to give some short sentences about my experiences concerning Ilog
Solver 6.1 and Gecode 1.1 constraint library in C++.

I formulated my CSP, a special search strategy and some contraint
propagators both with Ilog and Gecode.

In my opinion the strict parting between modelling level and
implementation level in Ilog makes its usage complicated. For branching
or propagation you ve got to switch to implementation level and can use
some macros to generate the modelling level. but thats no clear solution
  for me. Your cant get a good interface (e.g. readable headers) for
your modelling classes.
The solution of Gecode is better to handle and open for a deeper look
into details.
As you can see in my often questioning: support is great for Gecode. The
Ilog support people need at least a week for answering from my own
experience. That's breaking hard in your programming progress. Thanks
for your support! ;) (looking forward to your tutorial.. that will deal
with the remaining starting problems!)

Summarising I can say that my developing and modelling time in Gecode is
at least half than in Ilog. Maybe in part by a better knowledge of some
techniques in such libraries now (tried Ilog first).

But in the end Gecode is so far easier to handle for me.. ;)

Think some enjoyable words are also nice for such a user list!

Cheers,
Martin