[gecode-users] Peak memory and recomputation

Grégoire Dooms dooms at info.ucl.ac.be
Fri Mar 31 16:34:39 CEST 2006

Hello,

I have observed the following effect which seems counter-intuitive to
me: Using less recomputation can save memory.
Can you help me figure out what happens ?

The attached file models this simple problem using sets: generate all
subgraphs of a complete labeled digraph (with loops).
The following runs are done with increasing fixed recomputation
distance, very high (1000) adaptive distance and size 3.
The depth of the search tree  is from 9 to 12 (depending on the solutions).

I observe that with c_d = 4, the peak memory is much lower than with 3
and 5:

When running it with -c_d 3, I get:
Summary
        runtime:      10