[gecode-users] Analysing search performance

Lars Otten ottenl at student.chalmers.se
Fri Mar 3 13:57:07 CET 2006

On 03/03/06 01:51, Lars Otten wrote:
> The biggest instance I'm currently testing is eating about 1 GB of memory
> when run, so on my machine it is an issue, yes. ;) I am not using
> recomputation at the moment (for direct comparison with my randomized search
> algorithm, which don't use recomputation either), but as I found that mostly
> increases memory consumption anyway...

Hm, actually it does not seem to be quite that simple. Memory consumption
for dfs-reco always seems to be lower, but wrt. running time things
sometimes get better, sometimes worse (compared to dfs-copy).

Is there any rule of thumb when to apply dfs-reco instead of dfs-copy?

> Just tonight, however, I have made some progress by toying with the ICL for
> the distinct propagators that are posted. Especially in cooperation with
> some of the random stuff I implemented, a solution seems to be found rather
> quickly for most instances -- I'm quite happy about that at the moment! :))

Ok, so I think I understood the conceptual difference between ICL_DOM and
ICL_BND -- in consequence ICL_BND is 'less accurate' but potentially
propagates faster. But where does ICL_VAL fit into that? I am aware that
these levels are only meant to be guidelines for the propagators, still it
would be interesting to know...

Regards,
/Lars