[gecode-users] How do you debug your progam?

Roberto Pinto librarama at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 09:37:32 CEST 2006

On 7/27/06, Guido Tack <tack at ps.uni-sb.de> wrote:

> In many cases, there isn't even a real bug in your model, but it just
> doesn't propagate enough and the search space is huge.

I don't know, at the beginning I was more inclined to think that there
was a bug in my program, since my example was so small that sounded
very strange to
me it could not be solved within a handful of seconds, at most.
Anyway, after having read your reply, I have tried to give it another
chance: "inspired" by your observation above, I simply tried to invert
the branching order and it seems to work pretty well!!!!

I figured out this "solution" trying to follow the assignment process
in my mind and noticing that the branching order I assumed lead to too
many backtracks.
I still have to come a long way to clearly understand all the facets of CP...

> We are setting up web pages for Gecode/J at
> http://www.gecode.org/gecodej

The Mozart-fashion Explorer is EXACTLY what I had in mind.

> I hope we can offer more debugging tools in the future, but
> currently we are focusing on other issues.

Thank you very much for your reply, suggestions and work with Gecode
improvements.
Roberto