[gecode-users] Installation question

Guido Tack tack at ps.uni-sb.de
Thu Aug 17 11:38:24 CEST 2006

Hi.

> I have a problem with the installation of gecode. I'm using cygwin
> in windows xp. I use DJGPP (gpp) to compile my C++ programs. To
> configure gecode I use: ./configure CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" CXX="g++ -
> mno-cygwin". This produces the following error: C++ compiler can
> not create executables. If I simply use ./configure a MakeFile is
> produced. However, make does not work.

I don't know DJGPP very well, but I guess it is quite different from
the gcc suite normally distributed with cygwin. In particular, I
guess that the -mno-cygwin switch simply doesn't exist. So you could
try again without that switch.

In cygwin, the switch has the effect that gcc does not link with the
cygwin libraries (which try to emulate unix as closely as possible),
but with the Windows standard libraries. This results in a much
better performance, as especially memory allocation seems to be
really slow in cygwin.

If I understand the web pages correctly, DJGPP also comes with its
own C library. This could mean that performance is inferior here,
too, but maybe they did a better job.

Please note that we only support gcc versions beginning with 3.4 (but
I think DJGPP even provides 4.0). Another thing that might get into
your way is that gcc on cygwin knows about __declspec annotations. If
DJGPP does not support them, you'll have to modify some source files.

Please let us know about your progress!

Guido Tack
Programming Systems Lab, Saarland University, Germany
http://www.ps.uni-sb.de/~tack