[Gecode] Found problem with dynamic linking on Windows and gcc

Denys Duchier duchier at ps.uni-sb.de
Tue May 18 19:30:48 CEST 2004

"Christian Schulte" <schulte at imit.kth.se> writes:

> The incredible slowdown is due to the fact that gcc wraps any access to an
> exported memory location into a procedure call!

Have you jumped through all the weird dll hoops?  I see the following
in the gcc manual:

     The use of the `dllimport' attribute on functions is not necessary,
     but provides a small performance benefit by eliminating a thunk in
     the dll. The use of the `dllimport' attribute on imported
     variables was required on older versions of GNU ld, but can now be
     avoided by passing the `--enable-auto-import' switch to ld. As
     with functions, using the attribute for a variable eliminates a
     thunk in the dll.

>From what you're describing, it seems that you still have the thunk
and you'd like to get rid of it :-)

Dr. Denys Duchier - Équipe Calligramme - LORIA, Nancy, FRANCE
AIM: duchierdenys